Read more about Brow Lift Surgery
This procedure is a subtle lifting of the skin of the forehead often combined with some removal of underlying muscle and tissue to give a more youthful appearance to the upper part of the face. Surgery will correct drooping of eyebrows, loose skin and give some improvement to facial lines.
Dr Ayham Al-Ayoubi explains If you have inherited conditions such as a low, heavy brow or furrowed lines above the nose, you can achieve a more alert and refreshed look with a brow lift.
A brow lift is a highly individualised procedure. It may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy.
- You don’t smoke.
- You have a positive outlook and specific, but realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance.
Any one or a combination of the following conditions may indicate you are a good candidate for a brow lift:
- Sagging or low position of the eyebrows, creating a tired or sad appearance.
- Frown lines, or furrows, between the eyebrows and sometimes across the top of the nose.
- Deep horizontal creases across the forehead.
- A brow lift is most commonly performed in the 40-60 age range to minimise the visible effects of ageing.
Dr Ayham Al Ayoubi explains that the you need to keep your feet grounded and be realistic when it comes to the expectation from a brow lift. Despite the many great things that I brow lift can accomplish, you must also keep in mind that the procedure has its limitations. Most of the patients that go through brow lift surgery are pleased with the outcome. They have greater self-confidence and greater self-esteem. You will have a totally natural look and you will look more refreshed and younger.
Step by step Brow Lift Surgery
At least 4 incisions behind the hairline will be made each less than an inch long. An endoscope, which is a pencil-thin camera device that is connected to a television monitor, is then inserted through each incision in turn, enabling the surgeon to see the muscles and tissues beneath the skin. He will then remove some of these to produce the smoother and younger looking forehead. When the incisions are closed, they are done so horizontally to give additional lift to the brow.
Dr Ayham Al-Ayoubi explains that Neck Lift is an operation that usually takes 2 hours to complete using a general anaesthetic and normally includes an overnight stay at the hospital.
Recovery after Brow Lift Surgery
Dr Ayham Al-Ayoubi explains that patients may experience numbness and mild swelling but any discomfort should be minimal and easily controlled by medication. You may be told to keep your head elevated for two to three days following surgery to control swelling. Bandages are removed one or two days following brow lift surgery and sutures or metal clips removed in 10 days to two weeks. The scars will usually fade over 3 to 6 months and you will have follow-up visits in the months after surgery to check on your progress.
Most patients are on their feet in a couple of days, and back to work within two weeks. Strenuous exertion should be avoided for about a month, along with prolonged exposure to the sun. The average recovery time is between two to three weeks depending on the individual patient.
Dr Ayham explains that absolutely any surgery holds risks, even the simplest of procedures can have dangers and unpleasant side effects, and brow lift surgery is not without its own risks.
Some of the risks associated with brow liftt surgery are;
- Infection – This type of complication may occur after any surgery, although it is exceedingly infrequent. During and prior to the operation, the patient is given antibiotics.
- Frontal Hairline Alteration – It is also possible to notice a reduction in hair density around the incision lines. So, the scar may become noticeable unless the hairstyle is designed to conceal it. With endoscopic surgery the incisions are placed within the hair, so the hairline is very little displaced.
- Hair Loss -Temporary or permanent hair loss can occur following a brow lift. But this is very rare, and most of the time, the hair will grow back to its initial state.
- Forehead Lag – Some patients may experience a decreased feeling in the forehead which is most commonly temporary. This is a result of the stretching or injury to the nerves. Although this operation removes the forehead wrinkles, it may remove animation of the forehead as well. This temporary paralysis recovers over 8-12 weeks. Permanent loss of sensation rarely happens.
- Skin Necrosis – Some small areas of skin may become dead after the brow lift surgery. If this complication ever occurs, the area is usually within the hair bearing scalp. The problem can be solved by a minor corrective procedure.
- Lagophthalmos – This means that the patient is unable to fully close the eyes. It may rarely happen to the patients who underwent a blepharoplasty prior to a brow lift.
- Changes of Facial Expression – The patient’s facial expression may be modified after the elevation of the eyebrows and especially where intensive swelling has occurred. As the swelling heals, the skin of the forehead gradually resettles to its natural position.
- Asymmetry – It is known that asymmetry is common to each human face. So, correction of these asymmetries may not be achievable 100%. However, surgeons do their best to make adjustments so that it becomes hardly noticeable.
- Eyebrow Shape – In most cases, the eyebrow shape will not be changed by the brow lift surgery. So if it happens, it is exceedingly uncommon.
Non-surgical Brow Lift Surgery
Dr Ayham Al-Ayoubi explains that there are non surgical options for the Brow lift such as; Anti-Wrinkle Injections
, or chemical lift, is becoming a popular anti-ageing procedure for men and women who have a mild to moderate heaviness in the brow area and don’t want to undergo surgery.
The Anti-Wrinkle Injections brow lift works by relaxing the muscles above the delicate eye area, and smoothing away worry lines and deep grooves caused by frowning along the lower forehead. When the muscles around the tops of the eyebrows are relaxed, the skin appears smoother, more toned, the brows are lifted and youthful.
The Anti-Wrinkle Injections brow lift can be performed on all skin types, and may be particularly effective for people who have naturally-drooping eyelids and low-hanging eyebrows.
The brow lift literally ‘lifts’ the skin tissues above and around the eyebrows so that the natural eyebrow arch is a few millimeters higher.
The treatment will gradually wear off after 3-4 months