Who is suitable for Lip Enhancement?
Before Lip Enhancement takes place, the lips must be examined and evaluated in relation to the rest of the patient’s face. After the consultation and discussion, a treatment option will be given, based on the goals and concerns, as well as, the anatomy and lifestyle.
Patients will also be asked about his/her medical history, drug allergies, and check for conditions that could cause problems, such as, active or dormant skin infections (i.e. herpes simplex) or non-healed sores from injuries. Lip injections are generally off limits for patients who suffer from autoimmune diseases and those who are allergic to local anaesthetics. Lip injections are contraindicated for pregnant and breast feeding women.
Dermal Fillers are one of the most tried and tested dermal fillers available today. It is the benchmark for clinical excellence in its field. Its safety and efficacy are clinically proven and supported by robust clinical data, spanning over thirteen years. Research and development is continuous.
Dermal Fillers Lipp is a product which can be trusted because there are no animal ingredients used.
Dermal Fillers can instantly soften aging lines and improve the look of the cheeks and lips in a natural looking way.
Dermal Fillers restores volume, improves skin elasticity, and smooths niggling lines and imperfections.
Dermal Fillers Lipp patients will have larger, fuller and sexier looking lips and they will get instant and long lasting results, from nine to eighteen months, however the product is biodradable, so it is not permanent.The treatment is also very quick, only taking aorund twenty to thirty minutes.
If patients have recently had laser treatment or chemical peel treatments on the face, it is recommended that they should wait until the area is totally healed and the skin is back to its normal condition before having a Lip Enhancement procedure. This usually takes four to six weeks.
Options for Lip Enhancement
There are diffrent options of Lip Enhancement procedures:
- Injections of natural dermal fillers such as Perlane,Teoysol, Crisytal and Juvéderm
- Fat Injection
- Surgical insertion of implant (Alloderm, Permalip)
- Surgical advancement of own tissue
It would be best to use temporary products for lip enhancement for the very first time. This will able the patient to get an initial impression of what lip augmentation entails. Patients can be reassured that the lips will return to their previous state in the event that they do not like them.
The main ingredient of the injections used is a hyaluronic acid. It is the simplest and most commonly performed (
Dermal Fillers Lipp, Perlane, Hydrafill) however, they are usually temporary in nature. There are some variations between them in terms of longevity, as well as, the likelihood of allergies.
Lip Enhancement Procedure
- Pregnancy and breast feeding are contra-indications to treatment
- Alcohol intake should be reduced at least twenty four hours before treatment
- Medication, such as, aspirin may cause bruising, as will high doses of vitamin E
- Treatment cannot be performed until ceasing Accutane medication for six months
- Sun beds, waxing, electrolysis and laser should be avoided at least fourty eight hours before treatment
- Pain sensitivity may be heightened at certain times (pre-menstrual or following excessive alcohol intake)
- Bruising may be reduced by taking Arnica tablets two days before treatment
- Risk of cold sores may be reduced by the use of Zovirax tablets
Some people may experience mild discomfort during a Lip Enhancement procedure. A dental bloc is often used, also some patients can manage with only a local anesthetic cream to numb the lips.
Hyaluronic acid is biodegradable and is non-permanent. The manufacturing process of hyaluronic acid is similar to the production of insulin or antibiotics. When combined with the body’s own hyaluronic acid, it creates volume for the treatment of lips, as well as, other lines or wrinkles. It basically acts by restoring the skin’s volume, creating softness and revitalizing appearance. It contains no animal ingredients and therefore no skin test is needed.
- Immediately after the treatment there may be slight redness, swelling, tenderness and an itching sensation in the treated area. This is a normal result of the injection. If the inconvenience continues or if other reactions occur, please contact your physician.
- The initial swelling after treatment may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for about a week. This means that the result directly after the treatment should not be seen as the final result.
- Avoid touching the treated area 6 hours after the treatment. After that the area can be gently washed with soap and water and light make-up can be applied.
- Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. solarium and sunbathing) or extreme cold.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores.
- If you are using aspirin or any similar medication, be aware that these may increase the bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- Dermal fillers contain the body’s own natural material, hyaluronic acid
Lip Enhancement Results
One of the great advantages of a Lip Enhancement procedure is that the effects are long lasting but not permanent. Longevity varies from individual to individual. follow-up treatment is normally needed in about six months after treatments. Duration depends on many factors, such as, skin type, lifestyle, age, the degree of perfection wanted by the patient and the injection technique of the Cosmetic Doctor.
Patients can expect slight redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, itching and/or bruising following a Lip Enhancement procedure.
This is the same as they might expect with any type of injection, however, the discomfort is temporary and generally disappears after one to two days. With Lip Enhancement, it is wise to choose the treatment time with care, since the lips may become swollen and appear slightly uneven for two to four days. Patients can apply light makeup over any treated area to disguise any bruising.
Possible Side Effects
Like any other cosmetic medical procedure, there are possible risks and side effects, however, Dr Ayham Al-Ayoubi expalins that it is his duty to minimise those possible risks and complications but he can not elliminate them.
The swelling and possibly bruising on or around the lips are considered to be the most common side effect of the tratment, although they will ease after three to four days.
Some reactions include, redness, swelling, pain, itching, bruising or tenderness could devolped at the injection site. Inflammatory reactions may last for up to two weeks in rare cases. Scarring is extremely rare.
More than ten million Lip Enhancements have been carried out since the launch of
Dermal Fillers in 1996 and during this time
Dermal Fillers has shown to have an excellent safety track record. Nonetheless, some common injection-related reactions might occur after a Lip Enhancement injection; they typically resolve spontaneously within one or two days after injection.
Fat Transfer For Lip Enhancement
The fat is usually harvested from somewhere on the body, usually the hip or abdomen, by micro liposuction using a syringe. First the area that the fat will be taken from (donor area) is anaesthetised and then, using a specialised instrument called cannulae, fat is gently hand suction out, then washed and filtered.
The small amount of fat extracted does not noticeably change the donor area. The filtered fat is then injected under the skin of i.e. the lips during a Lip Enhancement procedure, to build up a fuller lip area. Since one’s own fat is used, there is no risk of an allergic reaction to the fat. After the injection there is some temporary swelling, soreness, and bruising. Patients can usually resume normal activity the day of their facial surgery, although strenuous activity should be delayed for a week.